What Are App Terms And Conditions?
App Terms and Conditions form a legal document that sets out the terms and conditions by which users can use your mobile or web app. It is an important contract that clarifies acceptable uses of your app, details the app’s limitations and other disclaimers specific to your app, and can help to limit your liability to users if something goes wrong.
When Do I Need It?
If you’ve created a mobile app that you’re going to make available on an online app store (such as the Apple App Store or Google Play Store) you definitely need to have mobile app terms and conditions in place before submitting the app for approval. If your app is also available to users via your website, a desktop installation or otherwise, you should also ensure the terms and conditions are accessible to those users.
How Do I Use It?
You should require your users to agree to your App Terms and Conditions before they use your app. In addition, if there are any particularly important clauses, disclaimers or risks associated with your app, it’s a good idea to place them in a prominent position on your application so that your users are unequivocally aware of them.
App Terms & Conditions Example
6 Key Things To Include In Your App Terms And Conditions:
- Acceptable Use: Are there any limitations on the way users are allowed to use your application (for example, to distribute junk mail or spam)?
- User Content: Will users be able to upload content to your app? If so, should the users promise that they have the rights to the content? Are there any restrictions of the sort of content they can upload?
- Payment: Are payment made through your application? If so, what is the payment process? What is your refund policy?
- Service Limitation: What are the limitations associated with the service? What happens if there is downtime or if the service has bugs? What happens if your app is hacked and user data is lost or stolen?
- Disclaimers and Liability Limitations: To what extent would you be liable if something goes wrong or someone suffers loss as a result of using the application?
- Privacy: How do you collect and use users’ personal information? Who can the user contact if they have questions or requests in relation to their personal information?
Need help with your App T&Cs?
Putting together App Terms and Conditions can seem like a daunting process, as it’s hard to know what to include and how to word it. It’s a good idea to get a lawyer to assist you with this process, as it’s a one-off cost that can save you from disputes and liability in the long run.
At Sprintlaw, we have a team of experienced lawyers who can assist you with drafting or reviewing App Terms and Conditions. Get in contact with one of our consultants for a no-obligation chat on how we can help you put together App Terms and Conditions and help with any other legal issues your business may have.
Need legal help?
Get a free, fixed-fee quote.
We'll get back to you within 1 business day.