Logistics and transportation businesses need to ensure they’ve addressed all necessary legal requirements when starting or running their operations in Australia. Our legal team specialises in assisting small businesses in this industry with their legal needs, including contracts, privacy compliance and intellectual property protection.
To start a logistics or transportation business in Australia, you will need to prepare and register a variety of legal documents. Key requirements include:
- Registering your business name with the Australian Securities and Investments Commission (ASIC).
- Obtaining Workers' compensation insurance and business insurance (e.g. public liability, vehicle insurance).
- Securing Council approval (if operating from a commercial premise) and a lease agreement (if renting premises).
- Having Health and safety policies and procedures in place.
- Complying with privacy and data protection policies and procedures.
- Obtaining the necessary licenses and permits (e.g. heavy vehicle operator's license, freight forwarder's license).
Working in transportation and logistics means you'll come across several risks. Specifically in the areas of warehouses and supply, it can be tricky to ensure everything goes smoothly.
Ensuring goods are transported safely from A to B isn't always easy, as many things can get in the way. In addition, the parties you're working with may have specific expectations of quality and timeliness that would be set out in your contracts with them.
To protect your business, it's wise to insert limitation of liability clauses into your contracts so you don't bear all legal responsibility for things that go wrong, or matters that are outside of your control.
Yes - transportation and logistics businesses require a licence to conduct their business activities legally and safely.
Licences and permits could include:
- Towing licence
- Boating licence
- Luxury car licence
- Warehouse licensing
- Heavy vehicle licensing
Our expert lawyers can also advise you on your legal obligations and regulatory compliance matters for your logistics or transportation business. Get in touch with our team to learn more.