All Questions Commercial Leases What type of lease do I need for a restaurant or cafe?
Answering your
legal questions

What type of lease do I need for a restaurant or cafe?


If you're starting a restaurant or cafe, you'll need to enter into a Retail Lease Agreement. This agreement should set out key matters like the duration of your lease, the kind of business activities you're allowed to conduct on the premises, sub-letting rights and how you can extend or terminate the lease.

It's important that you get a legal professional to review your Retail Lease for you before you finalise anything as certain terms can restrict your business plans. For example, you want to ensure that your lease allows you to conduct business on the premises as a cafe (under the 'permitted use' clause).

This way, you can be supported in your negotiation of those terms.

Here are some key things you should look out for in a cafe or restaurant lease.

Rowan is the Marketing Coordinator at Sprintlaw. She is studying law and psychology with a background in insurtech and brand experience, and now helps Sprintlaw help small businesses

Need Legal Help?
Ask Us!

Enter your details to get started

  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

* Proceeding confirms you agree to our Privacy Policy

Your legals made easy

ENQUIRE NOW CALL US 1800 730 617

Hi there!

You're visiting Sprintlaw . Would you like to switch to Sprintlaw ?